Friday 7 March 2014

Australian Summer - The Two Faces of William DuVall


I

Image left: February 20, 2014 - William DuVall hangs out with a bunch of kangaroos in Brisbane, Australia.

Image right: February 20, 2014 - William DuVall plays his brand new guitar wearing a pair of badass sunglasses. The photo was captioned as 'rehearsal', even though it should have been re-captioned as "I need your clothes, your boots and your motorcycle". Or should I be the one saying that? Hmm... Still have to find out if he actually owns a motorcycle. Fortunately for him, the other two things are firmly in place still (LOL).

It's funny how he chooses not to wear his sunglasses while standing under the actual sun and then puts them on while being inside... probably because he's so cool he can't even handle it. Impossible to blame him for that.

And so, here you have him: one second he's the nicest guy ever, and the next one he's a vicious bastard who looks every bit as though he's going to kill you just by staring at you.

That's probably why he needs the sunglasses.


...I could do that all day long, but I think I'll just stop now LOL

Of course, you most probably have to be a vicious bastard to play in Alice In Chains. Fortunately for him, I think being the nicest guy ever is also required ;)


II


[Brisbane, Australia, February 18, 2014, also from Will's collection]

It's summer in Australia, right now, as we speak. This might sound extemely retarded, but I had never really thought about that before (LOL). It's not that I didn't know it - I'm not 'that' stupid (LMAO); I just never had the need to really think about it until now.

It's pretty hilarious how I spent a large chunk of last month wondering why all the musicians I know (by that I actually mean Alice In Chains, Dir En Grey and John 5 as part of the Rob Zombie crew LOL) seemed to have an urgent need to play in Australia at the same time.

And then, the answer came to me as a mystical revelation: because God, in his infinite wisdom, created a planet divided in two hemispheres with opposite seasons so that musicians would always have a festival season to play. Fall to your knees and praise the Lord, y'all!

That's basically the story of how Australia became my new Maldives - a tiny bit of Promised Land, thousands of miles away from everything, free from all the worries, the bullshit and the evil bastards that plague my everyday. I know it's not true - I just enjoy the fantasy.

And I like to think of Australia as that place where William DuVall hangs with the fucking kangaroos, Toshiya takes pictures in front of local landmarks as every Japanese tourist should do (LOL) and John 5... does whatever the fuck he does. I'm sure he still has a great time in my little fantasy world.

(That's a pretty interracial crew, now that I think of it LOL)

Just like Scorpions said...


Let me take you far away
You'd like a holiday

Exchange the cold days for the sun
A good time and fun

Exchange your troubles for some love
Wherever you are...


[Toshiya from Dir En Grey on top of the Eureka Tower, in Melbourne on February 26, 2014]


 III.

February 23, 2014 - Suicide Silence get interviewed backstage at Sydney's Olympic Park before playing their set at the Sydney stop of Soundwave Festival.

I don't really care about Suicide Silence, but I still found this video quite fascinating.

I wasn't looking at the guys, but I couldn't take my eyes off what was happening behind them: all those people walking around, doing their jobs without really caring about which bands are getting interviewed here or there because they're so used to seeing them all (or because they don't even care about music in the first place); all those unimpressive women (definitely not what Lemmy would call slutty chicks LOL) in tank tops and short summer dresses, casually talking to each other, going through endless checklists, revising the schedules or whatever the Hell they do - impossible to conceive them as part of a heavy metal festival... and yet they are LOL

Everything is sunny and beautiful; you can almost feel the warm summer breeze on your skin; you can see it blowing up the black cloth on the table, the leaves on the trees, Chris Garza's hevy metal mane...

And then, all of a sudden, stormy clouds take over; everything gets dark as Hell, and the summer breeze turns into menacing cold wind. It feels like it's going to start raining at any second - or like the world is just about to end right on the spot.

And then the sun comes out again... just to get immediately obscured by clouds. And the process just keeps on repeating endlessly... or it would, if the video lasted that long.


Beautiful summer afternoon.

Doomsday.

Beautiful summer afternoon.

Doomsday.

Beautiful summer afternoon.

Doomsday.

Nicest guy ever.

Vicious bastard.


Ah, Australian summer...

Like the coldest winter chill
Heaven beside you
Hell within

No comments:

Post a Comment